Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Great Man

Happy Birthday Johnny Cash.

I totally recommend going to YouTube and search for Johnny Cash. Just listen, listen to the various type of songs he created. His singer-songwriting ability is absolutely incredible. I will say, my all time favorite music video is his cover of 'Hurt.' Originally done by Nine In Nails, written by Trent Reznor. There is such a power in Johnny Cash's version, it's almost chilling.  I watched an interview with his daughter. She explained that when the final version of the video was done, the family gathered together to watch it. At the conclusion, she looked at her Dad and said "It looked like you were saying good-bye." His response, 'I am.'  I believe that song was the perfect way to end his career.  Ending it with such power, such emotion. The Johnny Cash way.

In my opinion, he has been severely under appreciated by my generation.  He did it all. He did it his way. Even if you don't enjoy the music, appreciate the fact that he was true to what he wanted to do and stuck to ideas. Thank the Lord for that.

The rest of the day will be spent listening to my hundreds of Johnny tracks... and tonight, when I go out, I will be the girl dressed in black.

No comments: