Today I celebrate my 27th birthday. Recently, I've been looking back on my life and the experiences I've had and wanted to make a list of the 26th things I've learned thus far. And some might relate to quotes.. as most know, I'm a quote girl.
26. Never stop having firsts. Weather it's your first jazzercise class, first family camping trip, whatever it is. Never stop having them. Those are when the true memories are made. You are never to old to do something crazy.
25. When you get in argument, really think, will this matter in 5 years. I can't tell you how much easier this makes life. I love a good fight as much as the next person, but only when it's worth something truly fighting for.
24. Don't make excuses. It's so easy to make an excuse for everything. Really stop and think why you made it up in the first place.
23. Never stop doing what you once loved.
22. Create your own opinions. Don't just believe something, because you were told. Believe it because you have choose to believe.
21. In just about every circumstance the best thing to do is always the hardest.
20. Things are always more difficult in our head than they are in reality.
19. Mistakes are a good thing. It's only from faltering can we realize how we can improve and what is important to us.
18. The simple things really are the most important. Don't ever underestimate the power of a simple act of kindness.
17. Paying it forward really does work.
16. The experiences that I didn't want to do or the people I didn't think I would like, turned out to be the best experiences of my life. Point? Stop judging. The most inspiring times happen when you least expect them.
15. Family is the greatest gift we are given. Just because they might not always be there for you the way you'd like or talk to you everyday doesn't mean they don't love you. True family is always their for you even if they don't agree.
14. It's okay to rock out to the Spice Girls and Hanson on occasion. There ain't no shame in that! (Mom's going to love that sentence.)
13. Take responsibility for your actions good and bad.
12. Live your life with integrity and pride. It's amazing how much respect you will gain... for yourself... and others.
11. "Don't feel overwhelmed, just do one thing at a time." Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter is Dead. LOVE THIS.
10. Regret is nothing but a waste of emotion. You can't change the past, so what the point?
9. Find the people you can't live without and never let go of them. It's those people who will encourage you to become who you want to be.
8. You cannot control others as much as you try. The only thing you can control is your reaction. (Some of the best advice I have ever received.)
7. Life's not fair. Get over it. Things happen. Put your big girl panties on and deal with it. Life's just not fair to you, but to everyone. Along with this... Life goes on. As much as we don't think it will. It does as well as the sun coming up in the morning.
6. ' Be nice, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.' Anit Roddick Enough said.
5. Love with all you have and all you are. Yes having a broken heart sucks, but knowing you gave it all you don't have to worry about #10 and knowing #8 will save you a lot of tears. Having two small children call and wish you happy birthday (or say 'thank you' instead of happy birthday) is the greatest reward one can get.
4. Don't ever stop growing and learning. However, all to often we forget how far we come by focusing on where we need to go. Stop and celebrate the small victories. For it's always the small victories that lead to the big goal. Learn from every experience. Really think about what has happened. Look deeper than the surface.
3. Tomorrow is never promised. All to often we lose people suddenly. Learn from that. Live your life as if tomorrow never came, and think would you be satisfied with the legacy you leave?
2. "Hope is a great thing, maybe the best thing, and no good thing ever dies.' - Shawshank Redemption. Hope really is the best thing. It's only until you lose hope that you lose everything.
1. Above all, love yourself, trust yourself, and believe in yourself.
Have a great weekend all!
Take it easy.